Tutorial Guide to Using the Pulse Survey Wizard
The COVID-19 Organizational Wellbeing series of pulse surveys will help you to better understand and address both the practical concerns of your workers and their ability to meet their objectives – while maintaining social distancing.
The survey wizard has been custom-developed to make it possible for anyone to run the surveys with minimal effort. The wizard will enable you to configure and run the survey in 4 easy steps:
- Step 1: Provide the details for the survey project, such as a company name and email address
(scroll to Step 1 »)
- Step 2: Launch the survey by emailing or forwarding the survey links to all the participants
(scroll to Step 2 »)
- Step 3: Monitor and keep track of the number of survey responses by means of a real-time dashboard
(scroll to Step 3 »)
- Step 4: View the survey results in our analytics dashboard after you have closed the survey
(scroll to Step 4 »)
You can view a demonstration version of the analytics dashboard by clicking on the link in the survey wizard, or you can click on this link: https://engage-enterprise.mindsetmanage.com/covid-19-demo/demo. And click on this link for more context regarding the pulse survey series and planned pulse survey themes, or to view the pulse survey model and survey questions: https://www.mindsetmanage.com/covid-19.
Important: If you have closed your browser with the survey wizard after you have started (launched) the survey as part of Step 2, and you would like to load the wizard again so you can monitor the number of survey responses (Step 3) or close the survey and view the results (Step 4), just click on the Load survey wizard button in the Survey Launched email that was sent to you when you launched the survey during Step 2:
Getting Started with the Pulse Survey
To get started with the survey, click on the Get started button at the bottom of the wizard.
Users who have done the first pulse survey and who have viewed their survey results in the analytics dashboard, can run a newly released pulse survey – or a remeasure of an existing pulse survey – by logging in to the analytics dashboard and then selecting the Remeasure or Get Started buttons on the COVID-19 SURVEYS page.
The survey results will be mapped to the business unit structure as defined during the initial pulse survey. You will, however, be allowed to make changes to the business unit names, add additional business units (up to a maximum of 20), and select which business units to include in a specific pulse survey.
Step 1: Create a Survey Project
The first step is to uniquely identify the survey project, and optionally define a number of business units. Uniquely identifying the survey enables you to securely log in to the COVID-19 analytics dashboard after the survey has been completed to:
- View and analyse the survey results – and at the same time prevent anyone else from viewing or accessing your survey results;
- Run follow-on pulse surveys as and when they are released, with the survey results mapped to the same business units.
New or First-time Users
To uniquely identify the survey project, complete the fields as outlined below:
- Company name – enter a name to identify the survey project, e.g. the name of your company or business unit.
- Number of survey participants – specify the expected total number of survey participants, i.e. the headcount of your company or the number of employees in your business unit.
- Region – select the region where your company or business unit is situated from the list.
- Username – type in a name that will be displayed as the current logged-in user in the menu bar of the analytics dashboard.
- Login email – enter a valid email address you have access to; the survey link and login details for the analytics dashboard with the survey results will be emailed to this email address.
- Contact number (optional) – type in your contact number.
The wizard also allows you to optionally define a number of business units. The survey results will then be mapped to the business units, allowing you to view and analyze the survey results at business unit level. To add business units:
- Business unit name – enter a name for the business unit in the first field.
- Number of participants – enter the business unit’s total number of employees.
- Add another business unit – click on the button to add a 2nd business unit or more.
A minimum of two business units is required, and a maximum of 20 will be allowed. Please note the number of survey participants is mandatory – the wizard is going to use this number to calculate the survey’s sampling error for the business unit (see Step 3 below for more on sampling errors).
Click on the Next button to proceed to Step 2 when you have completed all the fields.
Existing Users who have done a Previous Pulse Survey
The project details (Company name, Username etc.) of users who have done a pulse survey before and who have clicked on the Remeasure or Get Started buttons on the COVID-19 SURVEYS page, will be filled in. The business units as defined or edited during the previous pulse survey will also be shown.
- Edit business units – click on the Edit button to edit the names or number of participants of business units that were defined during a previous survey. The survey results of previous surveys will always be associated to their original business units, so don’t change a business unit’s name to something totally unrelated (e.g. don’t change Finance to Marketing).
- Add business units – click on the Add another business unit button to add one or more business units. A maximum of 20 business units will be allowed in a free Organizational Wellbeing pulse survey. Click on the delete symbol (circle with cross) to delete a newly added business unit.
- Select business units to be included in survey – select the business units that should be included in the current pulse survey by ticking the check boxes before the business unit names.
Step 2: Launch the Survey
The second step of the pulse survey wizard allows you to launch (start) the pulse survey.
- View the survey questionnaire (optional) – click on the button if you would like to see what the survey questionnaire is going to look like; a preview version of the questionnaire will be loaded in a new window in your browser. You can respond to the survey questions in the questionnaire and click on the Continue or Submit buttons – your responses will not be recorded or saved. You can also forward the link to the preview version of the questionnaire to someone else, or view it on your mobile device.
- Start the survey – click on the Launch the survey or the Next button to officially start the pulse survey. A pulse survey project will be created and a couple of emails will be sent to the same email address:
- Survey Launched email – an email to confirm that your survey project has been created, with a link that you can use at a later stage to reload the survey wizard in case you have closed it and you still have to complete some of the steps.
- Survey Invitation email – a separate email with the survey questionnaire link that you should forward or otherwise make available to the employees or colleagues who will be participating in the survey.
The email has some sample text that you can customize, should you want to forward the survey questionnaire link via email to the survey participants. You can also make the survey questionnaire link available via other means, e.g. forwarding it via SMS, or posting it on a notice board or website – just copy the link in the email and paste it in your browser or elsewhere.
Respondents can complete the survey by clicking on the survey questionnaire link on their PCs or mobile devices. The survey can only be completed once on the same device. Please note that anyone who clicks on this link will be able to participate in the survey by completing the survey questionnaire, so take care to only forward the link to people who you want to participate in the survey.
The survey wizard will automatically proceed to Step 3 after you have launched the survey. If you would like to resend the emails, just go back to the Step 2 page by clicking on the Previous button at the bottom of the page, and then click on the Resend survey link button.
To reload the survey wizard in case you have closed your browser with the wizard, just click on the Back to survey button in the Survey Launched email that was sent to you - the wizard will be loaded and Step 3 will be displayed:
Step 3: Track Survey Participation
Step three of the survey wizard will allow you to monitor the number of survey responses in real time – the page will be automatically updated on a regular basis with the number of survey respondents who completed the survey questionnaire.
- Survey participation – the number of survey responses will be shown in the Survey Participation panel and will be updated in real time. Click on this link for more on survey participation rates and related information: https://www.mindsetmanage.com/concepts-guidelines/plan-survey/maximizing-participation.
- View survey participation dashboard – click on the View survey participation button to open a separate window with a real-time survey participation dashboard where you can view the number of survey responses over time, as well as per business unit. Save this link in your browser’s favorites so you can reload the dashboard at a later stage to monitor survey participation. You can also forward the dashboard link to your colleagues or to anyone else who may have an interest in monitoring the survey’s participation rates.
The survey participation dashboard will also show the survey's sampling error for the overall organization or per business unit. The sampling error is the extent or margin of error to which the number of survey responses (survey sample) represents the views and opinions of the group being surveyed. A sampling error of 5% or less means that the survey results are adequately representative, while survey results with a larger sampling error (e.g. 10% or 20%) may not be adequately representative of the group being surveyed and should be interpreted (and used) with caution. Click on this link for more on statistically representative surveys: https://www.mindsetmanage.com/concepts-guidelines/plan-survey/sampling-errors.
You can close the wizard at any time while the survey is running. You can return to the wizard by clicking on the Back to survey link in the Survey Launched email that was sent to you when you launched the survey in Step 2.
Leave the survey running for a few days. To improve the survey participation rates, you can consider resending the survey link to the intended survey participants as a reminder. When you are happy with the number of responses, click on the Next button to go on to Step 4 of the survey wizard to close the survey and view the survey results in the analytics dashboard.
Please note that to protect the anonymity of the survey respondents, a minimum of 4 survey responses are required to close the survey.
Step 4: Close the Survey and View the Survey Results
The last step of the survey wizard allows you to close the survey and view the survey results in the analytics dashboard.
- Close the survey – if you are happy with the number of survey responses, click on the Close & publish survey or the Close Survey buttons on the page. Be aware that closing the survey will deactivate the survey questionnaire link that was sent out, so nobody else will be allowed to complete the survey.
- Confirm that you want to close the survey – a Publish survey window with a summary of the survey participation data will be displayed. The status of the sampling error as well as the number of survey responses will be displayed as a reminder. A warning message will come up if there are fewer than 4 responses for the survey – in which case the survey cannot be closed, so the Publish survey button will be invalidated.
If you are happy with the number of survey responses, click on the Publish survey button to close the survey and publish the survey results on the analytics dashboard. Just be aware that this step is final and irreversible – you cannot reopen the survey once it has been closed.
Dealing with over-subscription: if you have received more survey responses than the Number of survey participants you indicated in Step 1 when you created the survey project, a warning message will be displayed informing you that one or more of the business units have exceeded their expected headcount and that the business unit headcount will be adjusted to match the total responses. Excess survey responses will not be discarded but will be included in the survey, and the Number of survey participants will be increased.
Survey Results Published email – a final email will be sent to your registered email address. This email contains a link that you can click on to access the analytics dashboard to view your survey results. Please keep this email and also consider saving the survey link in your browser’s favorites so you can return to the analytics dashboard at a later stage to view the survey results.
Access the analytics dashboard – click on the View Results button in the Survey Results Published email. A dialogue window will come up in your browser where you will be required to enter a new password for your account. Please enter a secure password of minimum 8 characters. This password will be used to securely log in to the analytics dashboard so you can view your survey results. The analytics dashboard will be loaded when you click on the Submit button.
To make the survey results available to other interested parties, you can follow one of two approaches:
- Forward the dashboard login details – you can at your discretion forward the analytics dashboard URL link (https://engage-enterprise.mindsetmanage.com) and your email and password to someone else. Please use your discretion when forwarding your login details – anyone with the login details will be able to view your survey results which may contain sensitive information.
- Create and forward a PDF of the survey results – click on the Print/PDF icon at the bottom/left of the analytics dashboard to create a PDF report of the survey results. You can then forward the PDF report to anyone at your discretion.